- A Humbling Short Film Visualizes the Breathtaking Magnitude of 13.8 Billion Years of Cosmic Existence | Colossal
- A real history of Aboriginal Australians, the first agriculturalists | Bruce Pascoe | TEDxSydney
- 65,000 yrs – the great history of Australian Aboriginal Astronomy | Kirsten Banks | TEDxYouth@Sydney
- How indigenous food connects us to country and culture | Paul Iskov | TEDxPerth
- We could lose the oldest culture on our planet | Amy Toensing | TEDxCarnegieLake
- How Brazilian SAMBA SCHOOLS became a Carnaval statement – The Brazilian Report
- Feeling the “and”
- Susie Dent’s Foreign Words of The Week – The ‘Untranslatables’
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Tag Archives: English
ox | Sesquiotica
“Why is it called oxtail if it’s from a cow?” I’m glad you oxed. It’s not just a load of bull. Ox is a word that, for many of us, is both familiar and strange. I grew up in ranch country in Alberta … Continue reading
Posted in Language Tagged construction, English, history Leave a comment
Who pronounces foreign words like PASTA right? 🇺🇸 or 🇬🇧?
A discussion of the different ways American and British English pronounce loanwords from other languages. The Harry Potter logo is Ukrainian Гаррі, not Russian Гарри. Ой. Thanks to @Teverell for Vigo, Kent, another Spanish placename in the UK. Various commenters … Continue reading
Posted in Language Tagged comparison, Culture, English Leave a comment
Five words that don’t mean what you think they do | The Conversation
Simon Horobin Professor of English Language and Literature, University of Oxford How words are used change over time and insisting that their original meaning be adhered to is pretty silly. Articles of this kind usually assert that a word’s … Continue reading
Posted in Language Tagged consensus, English, history Leave a comment
Where Did the F-Word Come From?
In the video today, we’re looking at the rather interesting origin of the f-word and how this Swiss army knife of the English language came to be.
Posted in Language Tagged English, history Leave a comment